W. C. Fields' catch phrases

GEORGE THOMPSON thompsng at ELMER4.BOBST.NYU.EDU
Fri Sep 3 16:41:28 UTC 1999

        As usual, an entertaining and instructive missive from Barry.  I had
posted in early summer my difficulty in finding a printed
confirmation of Fields' description of Mae West as "a plumber's idea
of Cleopatra".  To pick a nit, however: I believe that "niblick" is
an obsolete technical term for a particular golf club -- I remember
it, as well as mashie, from P. G. Wodehouse's golf stories, but I
don't remember whether it was an iron or a wood.  These pleasing
traditional names have been replaced by mundane numbers: #2 iron, and
so forth.  So there is no reason for it to be in RHHDAS.

GAT (who doesn't play golf)