Bad/Bag

Stephanie Humphries stephhumphries at HOTMAIL.COM
Tue Sep 7 00:51:52 UTC 1999

I'm one of the few who has heard bag/bad as "bag." Around 1984-1986, "My
bag" (or "Your bag") was quite popular among students in my high school
(Covington, VA, which borders WVA). If I recall correctly, I think the
African Americans in our class said it first or said it more.

I've never considered this phrase to "make less sense" than "My bad" (which
I've yet to hear) or idioms in general.

It would be interesting to track this geographically through time. I wonder
if the lone "my bag" person in Dr. Johnson's group had any ties with the
Midland, for example.

-Stephanie Humphries