Smober?

Fred Shapiro fred.shapiro at YALE.EDU
Mon Sep 13 15:02:02 UTC 1999

On Mon, 13 Sep 1999, Tom Kysilko wrote:

> I beleive the word you are looking for is "generification".  There was some
> discussion of it on ADS-L a while back, so it should be in the archives.
>
> At 09:26 AM 9/13/1999 -0500, you wrote:
> >
> >Also, (if I can do an ADS twofer here) I have a subscriber who wants to
> >know if there is a specific term for verbing a trademark, as in "Go Xerox
> >that letter." I think some lawyers call it trademark infringement, but
> >they hardly ever win. :-)
> >
> >Thanks,
> >
> >Erin McKean
> >editor at verbatimmag.com
> >www.verbatimmag.com

I believe there was an article about "generification" in VERBATIM some
years ago.

Fred R. Shapiro                             Coeditor (with Jane Garry)
Associate Librarian for Public Services     TRIAL AND ERROR: AN OXFORD
  and Lecturer in Legal Research            ANTHOLOGY OF LEGAL STORIES
Yale Law School                             Oxford University Press, 1998
e-mail: fred.shapiro at yale.edu               ISBN 0-19-509547-2