Pennsylvania Gazette, 1784-1800

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Wed Sep 22 11:25:50 UTC 1999

     I'm still trying to figure out what's night and what's day.  If you have
to fast for a day, something more substantive than the KLM/Northworst pasta
is a good idea....I flew KLM because, after my last KLM/Northworst disaster,
I got $100 off my next flight.  Then, when I attempted to actually use the
credit for my next flight, I was told that I had used a travel agent and it
was $100 off their regular fares.  An organization lied to me--hard to
believe!

PENNSYLVANIA GAZETTE, 1784-1800

      NYU has added a fourth Pennsylvania Gazette CD-ROM from Accessible
Archives.  NYU now has these discs:

Pennsylvania Gazette, 1728-1750
Pennsylvania Gazette, 1751-1765
Pennsylvania Gazette, 1766-1783
Pennsylvania Gazette, 1784-1800

     The NYPL has this from Accessible Archives on the web, but for some
reason, the Pennsylvania Gazettes are INaccessible at the moment.  The web is
easier to use--it's better than putting four discs in and out to search every
term.
     With 1728-1800 searchable, we now have a good chunk of an essential 18th
century American newspaper to search for Americanisms.  The Making of America
concentrates on the 19th century, and Lexis/Nexis, Dow Jones, and ProQuest
for the last of the 20th century.

STENOGRAPHER--Barnhart/Metcalf has this as the word-of-the-year for 1796.
It's in 26 September 1792, "wife of Mr. Lloyd, Stenographer."

COCKTAIL--No cocktail up to 1800.  Darn.

"...to use a trite saying, aimed at the pidgeon and shot the crow--they fired
at the bank and hit their own paper"--8 November 1786.  I haven't seen this
phrase  recorded.

"I have heard a saying, that the only way to get out of debt was to run
farther in..."--31 March 1790.  I haven't seen this phrase recorded.

"'A musselman, and lye,' is a common saying among the Turks"--22 October
1788.  I haven't seen this phrase recorded.

"Extreme right is extreme wrong"--3 February 1790.  I haven't seen this
phrase recorded.

"...the old saying, 'that it is safer for some people to steal a horse, than
for others to look over the hedge'"--18 January 1792.  I couldn't find the
earlier source.

"What is morally wrong, is often politically right"--9 March 1785.  I haven't