"the WB"

Gregory {Greg} Downing gd2 at IS2.NYU.EDU
Wed Sep 22 22:20:39 UTC 1999

At 05:52 PM 9/22/99 -0400, Mark_Mandel at DRAGONSYS.COM wrote:
>>..."the WB". The article is a surprise to me; I don't
>recall seeing it before, say, a month ago, although that may just reflect my
>reading habits.

Probably your reading habits. None of us reads everything. For several years
now I have seen the locution "the WB" in (e.g.) the TV sections of
newspapers, and I've heard it in the "network"'s own promos. I'm not sure
exactly when it began to be used, but I suspect the usage was generated by
Warner Brothers itself rather than by some speaker who thought the "the"
would sound cool. But who knows. NEXIS/LEXISites?

Greg Downing/NYU, at greg.downing at nyu.edu or gd2 at is2.nyu.edu