like + past participle

Johanna N Franklin johannaf+ at ANDREW.CMU.EDU
Thu Sep 23 22:22:57 UTC 1999

    This isn't exactly what you're looking for, but it is a
Pittsburghism to use "needs" that way...  "The car needs washed," "That
representative needs called."  I've never heard it in the plural,
though, like "The windows need cleaned."  Maybe it exists and I have
just been too sheltered to hear it.

    I've heard this attributed to the Scotch/Irish influence in the
area.  I don't know if that's right or not.

    Johanna Franklin

Excerpts from mail: 23-Sep-99 like + past participle by
"Simon,Beth"@IPFW.EDU > For an article on constructions with elliptical
_like_ + past participle