"Common English"

Victoria Neufeldt vneufeldt at M-W.COM
Mon Sep 27 12:23:22 UTC 1999

I don't recall ever seeing the term "common English" (or "Common English")
anywhere else.  It could possibly be a useful term (although the initials
make one think of Common Era or Church of England).  There is also the
potential ambiguity of "common", which could be construed as something like
"informal".

Victoria

Victoria Neufeldt, Merriam-Webster, Inc.
47 Federal Street, P.O. Box 281
Springfield, MA  01102
Tel. (413) 734-3134 ext 124
Fax  (413) 827-7262