Ice(d) beer; New drinks

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Wed Sep 29 06:12:25 UTC 1999

ICE BEER

    This ad is from PUCK, 5 July 1917, pg. 19:

Comfort, Health and Pleasure
are all combined in that delicious "cooler"
ICED POSTUM
(Postum made in the usual way, chilled with ice, and served, with sugar, and
either a dash of lemon or cream to taste)

     A deja.com check shows 700 hits for "ice tea" and 700 hits for "iced
tea."  However, there are 19 hits for "ice coffee" and 700 hits for "iced
coffee."
     We never talked about beer, such as Molson Ice.  Deja.com shows 100 hits
for "iced beer" and 700 hits for "ice beer."

NEW DRINKS

    The latest issue of the Village Voice (www.villagevoice.com) is its best
of Manhattan issue, but it falsely invokes a toffeed Egyptian god Bes:
THE
BES
TOF
NYC
    Pg. 85--Lots of newly invented green and blue cocktails with freshly
minted names are the alcoholic signature of _Bongo_, a west Chelsea
newcomer...
    Pg. 91--_Angel's Share_...  But the true chef d'oeuvre here is the lichee
daiquiri, an inventive Asian spin on the sweet summer standard.
    Pg. 91--_Tabla_...  For a taste jolt, try the Ginger Citrus Snap, made
with Stoli Orange and ginger liqueur.  Or for something a bit more subtle,
the unrivaled front-runner is the Tablatini, an enticing blend of Absolut
Citron and fresh pineapple juice infused with lemon-grass, served straight up
with a garnish of fresh pineapple.
    Pp. 92, 95--_Mexican Radio_...  Sit at the tiny bar and have a Short Wave
(Sauza, Cointreau, fresh lime, and Rose's lime juice, $7) or X-File (your
choice of top-shelf tequila--go with Patron SIlver--Grand Marnier, and lime
juice, $10)...
    Pg. 95--Just about every drink is excellent at _Ideya_.  The range of
offerings dazzles: there are 14 special cocktails on the menu, from the
ubiquitous mojito and caipirinha to successful inventions like the Esperanza
(dark rum, pineapple, orange juice, and a dusting of nutmeg).

TOP TEN REASONS THIS HAS NOT BEEN A GOOD WEEK
#10--THE BROOKLYN MUSEUM
     A few years ago, I stumbled on the story of model Audrey Munson.  It was
written up in the April 14, 1996 New York Times.
    Audrey Munson posed for, among many other things, the famous "Civic Fame"
statue on the Municipal Building and the "Miss Manhattan" and "Miss Brooklyn"
sculptures for the Manhattan Bridge--now relocated just outside the Brooklyn
Museum's doors.
   I copied the Times article and an incredible amount of stuff and sent it
to the Brooklyn Museum.  I said it would make a terrific exhibit for the
100th anniversary of the unified NYC in 1998.
   The Brooklyn Museum never even replied.
   The new exhibit at the Brooklyn Museum (by British artists) will show
sliced-up animals, and the Virgin Mary in elephant dung.