invisible strands (off topic)

Alice Faber faber at POP.HASKINS.YALE.EDU
Mon Apr 3 02:51:02 UTC 2000

At 10:20 PM -0400 4/2/2000, Grant Barrett wrote, ostensibly about Re:
invisible strands (off topic):
>On Sunday, April 2, 2000, Laurence Horn <laurence.horn at YALE.EDU> wrote:
>
>>This is very helpful, or at least encouraging.  Can you, or someone
>(else?)
>>who uses some approximant of Macintosh/Eudora, tell me where the "show
>all
>>headers" command would be, if indeed it's available to me as a selection
>>option?  Or should I assume from the last part of what follows that it's
>>not something I can fix on my end?  Thanx.
>
>There is no such function, at least as far as I can find. The header is
>probably already displayed (lots of to and from and X garbage). You might
>check and see if the HTML text is attached as an enclosure, or if Eudora read
>it as a MIME attachment and downloaded it to your attachments folder (you
>can check settings to see what folder that is).

Nope. The default in Eudora (at least the Mac versions I've used) is
to display minimal headers. This is what I see from Grant's message
that I'm replying to:

>Date:         Sun, 2 Apr 2000 22:20:58 -0400
>Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
>From:         Grant Barrett <gbarrett at AMERICANDIALECT.ORG>
>Subject:      Re: invisible strands (off topic)
>To:           ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU

To see more detail, you click the button labeled "BLAH BLAH BLAH"
next to the subject line. To see this button, you need to set your
inbox (or whatever mailbox you're using) not to show message previews
and, instead, access individual messages each in their own window.

When I view all headers in Grant's message, this is what I see:

>Date:         Sun, 2 Apr 2000 22:20:58 -0400
>Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
>From:         Grant Barrett <gbarrett at AMERICANDIALECT.ORG>
>Subject:      Re: invisible strands (off topic)
>To:           ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU

I believe it's in the Content-Type header that you'd see an
indication of HTML encoding. In addition, clicking BLAH BLAH BLAH
will make any HTML tags visible, showing just how much extra text is
transmitted in such a file.

The broken messages that I received (which may well have been in
HTML) all had only a single header line.

Alice
--
Alice Faber                                                  tel.
(203) 865-6163
faber at pop.haskins.yale.edu
New Haven, CT 06511               old email, if you must:
faber at haskins.yale.edu