Boilermakers

Aaron E. Drews aaron at LING.ED.AC.UK
Mon Apr 3 17:29:49 UTC 2000

on 1/4/00 2:21 AM, Donald M. Lance wrote:

> When I was in Spain recently, several guys poured Coca Cola (maybe 1 coke: 2
> wine) into
> their glasses of red wine.  Not bad.  Much tamer than a boilermaker.  I didn't
> think to
> ask if they had a name for it.
> DMLance

In the Basque Country (or Euskal Herria), the wine and coke are called
kalimotxo (<tx> being an affricate).  Don't know 'bout the rest of Spain.

A boilermaker in Scotland is simply called a nip-and-chaser.  Not very
original, though.  And the fee for "brown-bagging" is called a corkage.

--Aaron

Aaron E. Drews                               The University of Edinburgh
http://www.ling.ed.ac.uk/~aaron      Departments of English Language and
aaron at ling.ed.ac.uk                    Theoretical & Applied Linguistics

 "MERE ACCUMULATION OF OBSERVATIONAL EVIDENCE IS NOT PROOF"
  --Death