Viewing HTML messages

A. Vine avine at ENG.SUN.COM
Mon Apr 3 17:36:29 UTC 2000

Well, it has nothing to do with the MIME settings on your email client
software.  I too use Netscape Messenger (portion of Communicator) for my email
client.  The MIME settings are for outgoing mail, not incoming.  MIME really
should help things, it's the broken clients which cause MIME to fail.

HTTP is the transport mechanism - not sure what you mean by HTTP settings.  Also
not sure what you mean by "a block of HTTP code" - do you mean HTTP headers?
They are similar to MIME, so you were likely looking at MIME headers.  The
message content is in HTML.  The best way to deal with such messages on Netscape
Messenger is to go to the "View" menu and select "View attachments inline".  I
find that solves a number of problems.

There shouldn't be Java (FYI, not an acronym) settings on mail.

Not sure what to tell folks who don't have Netscape Messenger.  Maybe we could
just request that folks not send mail in HTML if at all possible?  Or perhaps,
as Alice suggested, your email server is messing things up.  You would need to
contact your system administrator.

Andrea