E-less Fiancé

Tue Apr 4 12:56:44 UTC 2000

We are all entitled to our opinions, and as long as those who express such
opinions about linguistic tastes understand that it makes them the studied
rather than the students, it's OK (especially with me, since that's one of
the goodies I like to study).

dInIs

PS: I might except "icks" with regard to "real" clarity (in whatever
variety or register), but I am suspicious of many of those (i.e., I expect
they most often relate to superficial prejudices against rather than real
cases of obfuscation or disorganization, as Bill Labov showed long ago in
the still must-read "Logic of Nonstandard English").