Set-ups (was "Boilermakers")

Bruce Dykes bkd at GRAPHNET.COM
Tue Apr 4 14:35:04 UTC 2000

-----Original Message-----
From: James Smith <jsmithjamessmith at YAHOO.COM>
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
Date: Monday, April 03, 2000 3:21 PM
Subject: Re: Set-ups (was "Boilermakers")

>> Maybe twist-off bottle tops and pop-top cans have
>> made the term
>> less useful.
>>    --Natalie Maynor (maynor at ra.msstate.edu)
>
>Undoubtedly.  The context of my comment was something
>like, "A church key would be the perfect tool for ..."
>referring to some use, which I can't recall now, that
>was different than its normal use.  Another listener
>from the pre pop-top era understood clearly what I
>meant.  The young woman said, after we explained what
>a church key was, that although she had had no clue as
>to how keys to churches might differ from other keys,
>she had been unable to picture how any type of key
>would have been of any use in this situation.

Thank you ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=295810574
a selection of antique keys that should help clarify my last post.

I've continued using the term to refer to the cheap plastic giveaway bottle
openers that brewers distribute to bars. Likely because they always come
attached to a keyring.

Corollary to the twistoff and poptop theorem proposed is that the resurgence
of craft brews, with their opener-required bottle tops, is keeping the term
alive...

And does everyone remember that Heineken commercial here in the US where a
guy is trying to casually and fruitlessly twist off the bottle top while
he's waiting for his date to get ready?

bkd