Church key

Lynne Murphy lynnem at COGS.SUSX.AC.UK
Tue Apr 4 17:37:32 UTC 2000

> From:         Victoria Neufeldt <vneufeldt at M-W.COM>
> It seems from this discussion that  "bottle openers" don't even exist
> anymore, if people can confuse them with can openers, with reference to the
> kind that punch a hole in the top of a can.  I haven't tried to buy a bottle

My understanding was that a church key is one of those things that are
completely metal and have a rounded end on one side for opening a bottle and a
pointy end at the other side for opening cans.

Is a church key just any old bottle opener then?


Dr M Lynne Murphy
Lecturer in Linguistics
School of Cognitive and Computing Sciences
University of Sussex
Brighton BN1 9QH

More information about the Ads-l mailing list