Cheap Shot

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Wed Apr 5 07:12:02 UTC 2000

     More from ESQUIRE of 1966.

CHEAP SHOT--The RHHDAS has several 1970 cites and one 1967 cite.  From
ESQUIRE, November 1966, Letters column (The Sound and the Fury), pg. 10, col.
2:
     In John Davies' remembrances of Hobey Baker, he refers to "what the pros
called a 'cheap shot' (head-on tackle)".  Professional football players do
not now, and probably never did, refer to a head-on tackle as a "cheap shot."
 A head-on tackle is not won cheaply.  Rather, I believe, a "cheap shot" is a
block or tackle applied to an opponent from his blind side or while he is
down.  "Cheap-shot artists" in pro football are generally regarded as the
dirtiest players in the league.

WHERE HAVE YOU GONE, JOE DIMAGGIO?--Paul Simon takes credit for the Joe
DiMaggio myth-making with that line, from the song "Mrs. Robinson" that was
played in the movie THE GRADUATE (1967).  (If I remember correctly, it was
sung by Fanny Brice.)  ESQUIRE, July 1966, has a cover story by Gay Talese
titled: "What's DiMaggio doing with himself these days?"