doc in a box

A. Vine avine at ENG.SUN.COM
Thu Apr 6 19:02:35 UTC 2000

Herb Stahlke wrote:

> Does anyone know the provenance or history of the term "doc in a box" used to refer to immediate medical centers, those places where one can be seen by a doctor without an appointment and without going to an emergency room?
>
> I've heard the term used in this way here in Central Indiana, but several web searchs bring up only internet medical sites as a referent for the term.
>
> Thanks,

My folks use "doc in the box" as a play on Jack-in-the-Box, the drive-thru fast
food chain, I assume.  I think this comes from the medical community, and I
suspect it is not intended as complimentary.

Andrea
--
Andrea Vine, avine at eng.sun.com, iPlanet i18n architect
...even if it requires not really a dance with the Devil, but