"See/hear/say no evil" monkeys

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Fri Apr 14 10:32:14 UTC 2000

   Greetings from Kyoto.  I go to Nara tomorrow, so I`ll check out the Mike Salovesh monument as well as the monkeys.
   No one in New York City has even responded to my claim of plagiarism.  I said I`d be away, but that I`d be online.  I can`t say enough bad things about New York City and the New York Times.

SEE NO EVIL (continued)

  Was the phrase popular AFTER WWII?  I just tried both Making of America databases for "three monkeys" and "see no evil" and other combinations (monkey & evil, monkey& Japan).  No luck at all!  And the MOA databases certainly had articles about Japan from about 1860-1900.
  The monkeys are now working for Janet Reno`s campaign finance investigation, I`m told.

FASHION CLUB

   A night club in Kyoto called the Crazy Duck (www.a123.co.jp) is called a "fashion club."  Why?

JAPANESE FOOD

   A pasta restaurant offer "Young Idol (sausage + bacon + vegetable),"
   One restaurant offers set menus for Sandwich, Special, Child, and Lady`s (includes spaghetti of the day).
   Another rastaurant offers four set menus: Kamogawa dinner, utage dinner, irodori dinner, nishiki dinner.
   The Mitsukoshi store (Ginza, Tokyo) Restaurant 4th Avenue offers these as "Japanese" foods: sagano, komoro, tempura-zen, oharo, otukuri-zen, gyu usuyaki-zen, utage.

JANGLISH

  From the restaurant at the Hakone Open Air Museum:

Quickly, Delicious, Fresh Food
Menu of a low price!

MAYBE THEY HAD COMEDY?

  There is a Golden Temple in Kyoto where "Noh drama" was supposedly invented.

TOUR LEADER:  There was Noh drama in the temple.

  Noh drama?