Freedom Fighter

Mon Apr 17 19:51:21 UTC 2000

In a message dated 4/17/2000 11:17:13 AM, ADS-L at HIGHLANDS.COM writes:

<< OED...
1942 J. Lehmann _40 Poems_ 32  Their freedom fighters staining red the
snow.

I suspect this is John Lehmann, the 20th century English poet, writer
and publisher (1907-1987).  The bibliography of OEDs does not include
him.  Perhaps the CD rom version does include him. >>

Of course, the fact that Lehmann put the words "freedom" and "fighter"
together in 1942 does not necessarily mean that that is the origin of the
term "Freedom fighter" meaning a 'guerrella who makes war against a foreign
power'; the US forces in World War I (not to mention WWII) thought of
themselves as "freedom fighters" but not "Freedom Fighters," I would guess.