endangered phonemes

Anne Lambert annelamb at GNV.FDT.NET
Tue Apr 18 00:55:43 UTC 2000

I always use /hw/ in words spelled "wh-" ; on the other hand, my husband
doesn't.  I assume that this is a Midwest-East distinction.  However, I
have heard that the younger generation uses /w/ exclusively.  I wonder if
this loss of /hw/(and some other traits) began on the Eastern seaboard
and had not yet spread to the Midwest when I was growing up?