Pop and African Americans

Frank Abate Abatefr at CS.COM
Wed Apr 19 16:03:22 UTC 2000

Natalie's story below reminds me of recent discussions I've had re the "n-word", and the apparent fact that it is used among black people when speaking about other blacks, and is not necessarily derogatory when so used.  Can anyone confirm this?

Of course, outside the specific context of one's own environment, the "n-word" is highly inflammatory, perhaps the most dangerous word in English.

The PS is also revealing of the too-frequent assumption that one individual can/should speak for a whole race, which is never true (or a whole gender, etc.).  This seems to me an often overlooked point, and merits emphasis, whether the topic is language, politics, whatever.

Frank Abate

*******