Pop/Soda/Coke

Derrick Chapman derrickchapman at MINDSPRING.COM
Wed Apr 19 18:23:31 UTC 2000

As a native Georgian from the non-'lanta area, I can certify that "coke" is
used as a generic term much the same as kleenex or tupperware or xerox.  I
don't know how far outside of Georgia's boundaries it goes, but there's also
a tendency to say "Co-cola" (emphasis on the first or second "co" is
optional) instead of "Coca-cola."  There's even a guy on the daily stock
market reports on Georgia Public Radio that pronounces the company's name
with the "ca" syllable silent.

-----Original Message-----
From: American Dialect Society [mailto:ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU]On Behalf
Of Herb Stahlke
Sent: Wednesday, April 19, 2000 1:07 PM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: Re: Pop/Soda/Coke

Even in Atlanta, where I lived from 74-80, rootbeer, 7-Up, etc. are all
coke.  The question "ya wan a coke?" would frequently be met with "yeah,
what kind ya got?"

Herb Stahlke

>>> thompsng at ELMER4.BOBST.NYU.EDU 04/19/00 11:50AM >>>
Natalie Maynor quotes a student as saying "Sodas are known as cokes
in the South.  Even Pepsi is called a coke in the South."

Does this mean that ginger ale and root beer and Dr. Pepper are
also called "coke"?  If so, how do they specify that they want or
are drinking a cola drink?  If Southerners were to be given a Dr.
Brown's Cel-Ray, what would they call it, other than a vile
concoction?

GAT