Hotdogs & Dogsands; Ice Cider

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Thu Apr 20 09:23:57 UTC 2000

     Greetings from Kumamoto.

HOTDOGS & DOGSANDS

   The Kagoshima train station restaurant offered "hotdogs" and "dogsands."  A hotdog is a hot dog.  A dogsand is a dog sandwich.  It's similar to a hot dog, except it's on white bread and is served with lettuce.

ICE CIDER

    I just had a product called "Ice Cider" from one of those ubiquitous machines.
    The Family Mart offers Ice Coffee.  Lipton has Lemon Tea and Milk Tea, and Nestea has Asian Tea.  Ice(d) Tea is usually avoided because you can put the same "Royal Milk Tea" twice in a machine as hot and cold.
    On further examination, I now think it's mostly Ice Tea and Ice Coffee.

FLEA'S HEART

   The Japan Times, 19 April 2000, pg. 21, col. 2:

   A heavyset man weighing more than 100 kg, (new Prime Minister Yoshiro--ed.) Mori is reputed to have a "flea's heart"--a reference to his indecisiveness.

   Flea's heart?  Yes, a flea is small, but isn't the heart in proportion?  Is "flea's heart" a popular proverb in Japan or elsewhere?