Coke globally

leslie savan savan at EROLS.COM
Thu Apr 20 20:25:10 UTC 2000

James Smith wrote:

> Although 'coke' is not a generic term for soft drinks
> here in Utah, I believe "Wanna coke?" would typically
> be understood to mean "Wanna soft drink, any kind you
> wish?".
>
> --- Derrick Chapman <derrickchapman at MINDSPRING.COM>
> wrote:
> > As a native Georgian from the non-'lanta area, I can
> > certify that "coke" is
> > used as a generic term much the same as kleenex or
> > tupperware or xerox.  I
> > don't know how far outside of Georgia's boundaries
> > it goes, but there's also
> > a tendency to say "Co-cola" (emphasis on the first
> > or second "co" is
> > optional) instead of "Coca-cola."  There's even a
> > guy on the daily stock
> > market reports on Georgia Public Radio that
> > pronounces the company's name
> > with the "ca" syllable silent.

Talking about the broad use of Coke, does anyone know how much truth
there is to the truism that "Coke" is one of the most-recognized words
in the world, and probably THE most-recognized word? I've heard this for
years, but where does this idea come from? Studies? (Another top global
word is supposedly "OK"--perhaps both words were covered in the same
studies/surveys or whatever.) If this has already been discussed and is
in the archives, can someone please advise me where in the archives I
should look for it. Thanks...Leslie Savan