"Axe" for 'guitar'?

Fri Apr 21 16:34:21 UTC 2000

Funny that you should mention 'gig': a colleague of mine asked me just
yesterday where that word came from.  We checked the OED but found nothing
seemingly related (unless 'gig'=fun or silliness, hence, presumably,
'giggle'? Interesting that it originally referred to girls'
silliness...).  Musicians?