Red light district

Peter A. McGraw pmcgraw at LINFIELD.EDU
Tue Apr 25 15:40:47 UTC 2000

The following message was posted to a railroad listserv that I subscribe
to.  It sounds like a folk etymology, but a CURSORY search of Am.Sp. and a
couple of dictionaries didn't yield anything better.  I thought I had a
vague memory of a discussion on this list sometime, but didn't find
anything in the archive.  The first citations in the OED are American
(Boston and NYC), from 1900.

Does anybody know the real origin of "red light district"?

Peter Mc.