Is it standard English? to disrespect, to partake in

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Sun Apr 30 14:08:43 UTC 2000

>Among the words my students have at their disposal which I do not, are the
>verbs 'to disrespect' and 'to partake in', as in 'He is going to partake in
>the after-school activities this semester.'    I asked my class in History of
>the English Language how many could say this and find nothing odd about it,
>and about 90% said it was OK by them.   So the question is, has it crossed
>into standard English?  Would anyone dispute that 'to disrespect' has made it
>into the hallowed halls of acceptable speech?    I  decided a couple of years
>ago that the weight of numbers was against me on 'disrespect' and I don't
>comment on it any more, but 'to partake in' still just seems plain 'wrong' to
>me.  I still dutifully write 'partake of' and it refers only to food and
>drink... but I have a feeling the handwriting is on the wall...
>
>Dale Coye
>The College of NJ

Well, THIS card-carrying member of the AHD Usage Panel would have no
trouble sanctioning (in the positive sense) both usages.  Or is there a
particular nominal or verbal frame in which you've heard or seen
'disrespect' used that you find non-standard (and/or reprehensible)?

larry