On Campbells and camels

Rudolph C Troike rtroike at U.ARIZONA.EDU
Thu Aug 3 05:32:06 UTC 2000

I wonder if the "camel" pronunciation is South Midland or SM-Southern?
Except for one Nebraska source, all of the examples so far suggest this.
Growing up in southmost Texas, we had a neighbor family I knew only as the
"Camels". It was not until I was a grad student at the Univ. of Texas and
had a professor by that name, whom I similarly referred to, that I learned
there was a possible different pronunciation when a fellow student irately
corrected me to insert the /b/. For years I assumed the Scottish air was
referring to actual camels, never associating it with Campbells.

        Rudy