"greengrocer's apostrophe" (was Re: Cam(pb)ell)

Aaron E. Drews aaron at LING.ED.AC.UK
Fri Aug 4 17:06:36 UTC 2000

>("greengrocer being, in my experience anyway, a UK term not often seen in
>reference to the US)?

In my lifetime, I don't ever remember seeing an actual greengrocer.
It's always been a supermarket (or whatever your dialectal variant
is).  But, I do remember on channel 5 in Phoenix there was a feature
on the news once a week or so with a guy talking about fresh produce.
I (mis-)remember him having the title of greengrocer.

Before the pervasive supermarkets, what were the people who selled
fresh produce called?  Besides farmers.

--Aa "I'm feeling like a young whipersnapper" ron

Aaron E. Drews                               The University of Edinburgh
http://www.ling.ed.ac.uk/~aaron      Departments of English Language and
aaron at ling.ed.ac.uk                    Theoretical & Applied Linguistics

Bide lang and fa fair  \\  //
                         \\// /