"Internet Home" (Have a "ham-cam"?)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sat Aug 5 05:21:50 UTC 2000

"So I rounded up all my electrical appliances...and I said look, I know
what's going on, and cut it out!...So then I got in the elevator, and I
pressed the button, and the doors closed, and it refused to move.  And the
elevator said to me, I heard what you did to the toaster."
--Woody Allen, "Electrical Appliances," a routine from his live stand-up
comedy album of the 1960s.

    I have never felt the urge to talk to my refrigerator.
    "The Interent Home" is featured on AOL News today.  You'll soon be able
to talk to all of your electrical appliances.  You can wake up and greet your
coffee pot with "Wassup?"
    Here, from the story, are some terms we might have coming:

HAM-CAM--Whirlpool is even considering installing a camera inside the oven so
cooks can check on a roast from the office (or anywhere).  A. Jared Headley,
a Cisco manager who helped design the home, and his co-workers call it the
"ham-cam."

HOME INTEGRATORS--And before much longer, Cisco predicts, a huge market will
develop for what it calls "home integrators," or companies that will wire
your home, install everything, sell you a range of services, and make sure
everything keeps working.