"greengrocer's apostrophe"

Arnold Zwicky zwicky at CSLI.STANFORD.EDU
Sat Aug 5 16:27:26 UTC 2000

larry horn:

 I seem to recall at least one additional
 parameter that emerged in our earlier discussion of these: their
 prevalence after (orthographic-)vowel-final nouns, as well as (or
 especially in) foreign imports.

yes, indeed.  i considered mentioning this, but didn't because i
thought we'd had a pretty extensive discussion on this topic a while
back.  certainly someone with my family name is sensitive to the
issue.  is my family the Zwickys?  the Zwicky's?  the Zwickies?  (i
opt for the first, but both the other versions are attested.)

arnold (zwicky at csli.stanford.edu)