Billy Goats; Hush Puppies; Snicker Doodle; Dutch Nanies; Romeo & Juliet

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sun Aug 6 06:18:34 UTC 2000

     More food.
BILLY GOATS

_billy-goat date cake._  A cookie made with dates and nuts.  As noted by
Betty Fussell in _I Hear America Cooking_ (1986), it is specific to the
Pacific states after the Deglet Noor date was introduced from Arabia into the
Coachella Valley in California in 1890.  The reason for the cookie's name is
not known.
--John Mariani, ENCYCLOPEDIA OF AMERICAN FOOD & DRINK (1999).

     From AMERICAN COOKERY, June/July 1939, pg. 25:

THIRD PRIZE (American Prize Cookies.  "Lime Snaps" and "Bleeding Hearts"
placed ahead--ed.)
Elsie Loy Benney, Kansas
     OLD-FASHIONED "BILLY GOATS"
3/4 cup butter
1 1/2 cups light brown sugar
3 eggs, beaten
1 cup nut meats, chopped
1/2 pound raisins or chopped dates
4 cups flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon cloves
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon soda
2 tablespoons buttermilk
     Cream the butter and the sugar together and add the beaten eggs.  Stir
in the nut meats, the raisins or dates and the vanilla.  Sift together the
flour, salt, cinnamon and cloves, and add alternately with the soda dissolved
in the buttermilk.  Drop by spoonfuls on a buttered pan and bake about twenty
minutes in a moderate oven.

HUSH PUPPIES (continued)

     As I've said, I've finally located the "hush puppy" point of origin to
Tallahassee, Florida.
     From AMERICAN COOKERY, June/July 1940, pg. 40, col. 2:

QUERY No. 6214.--"Can you possibly tell me what 'hush puppies' are and how
the name originated?"
     _"Hush Puppies"_
     The "Cricket Tea Room Cook Book" answers the question as follows:
3 eggs
3 teaspoons baking powder
1/8 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons flour
1 teaspoon onion juice
1 tablespoon melted shortening
1 1/2 cups milk
Cornmeal to make stiff batter
     Beat the eggs and add to the liquid; add remaining ingredients and drop
from a spoon into the deep, but not too hot, for used in frying the fish.
They are delicious with fish.
     The story of the origin of hush puppies is: In a camp near Thomasville,
Georgia, where fishermen and hunters congregate, the negro cook made this
bread.  While the men were eating, and to pacify the hungrry dogs, they would
throw pieces of bread to them with this admonition: "Hush, puppies."

SNICKER DOODLE (continued)

     From the CONFECTIONERS' AND BAKERS' GAZETTE, 10 September 1919, pg. 22,
col. 3:

     SNICKER DOODLE
     One cup of sugar, 1 tablespoon of butter, 1 cup of milk, 2 cups of
flour, 2 teaspoons of baking powder, 2 unbeaten eggs added last; put in flat
pie tins and spread with cinnamon and sugar.

DUTCH NANIES

     From AMERICAN COOKERY, May 1941, pg. 613, col. 2:

QUERY No. 6340.--"I am enclosing some recipes you asked for in your February
issue."  WIth thanks to Mr. M. L., of Washington, we include these recipes
which he quotes from "The United States Regional Cook Book," edited by Ruth
Berolzheimer.
     _Dutch Nanies_
4 eggs
1/2 cup sifted flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup milk
2 tablespoons butter, softened
Confectioners' sugar
Lemon juice
     Beat the eggs thoroughly, sift the flour and salt together, add
alternately with the milk, a little at a time, beating until the batter is
smooth.  Spread butter over the bottom and sides of an unheated ten-inch
frying pan.  Pour the batter into the frying pan and set in a hot oven at 400
deg. Fah.  Bake for twenty to twenty-five minutes, reducing the heat
gradually to moderate (350 deg. Fah.) during baking.  The pancake should puff
up at the sides and be crisp and brown.  Sprinkle with confectioners' sugar
(powdered sugar) and lemon juice.  If you wish, you can put sliced banana on
also.  Then roll up like an omlet.  Serve on a hot platter.
     _Note:_ The words "Dutch Nanies" come from the name Dutch Banana
Pancakes.  "Nanies" is a corruption of the word bananas.

     That's "Dutch Nanies"?  I was thinking back to my days in Amsterdam and
the question "Who's your Nanny?", but no...

ROMEO AND JULIET

     From CONFECTIONERS' AND BAKERS' GAZETTE, 10 December 1900, pg. 21, col.
1:

     ...A French scholar, suggested the following:
MENU.
Capitolade de boeuf sali aux pommes de terres.
Jambonneau et haricots blancs, sauce Worcestershire.
Fonceurs au beurre d'Armour et Cie.
Pouding d'amidon.
Cafe au lait.
     which was bawled out by the vulgar waiter thus: "Brown de hash, ham
and----nine up, draw three, three Romeo and Juliets."

WIGGLE

     From AMERICAN COOKERY, August/September 1918, "Camp Cookery," pg. 97,
col. 1:

     A group of dishes, we call inclusively if not accurately, "Wiggles";
meaning by that, any mixture served hot on crackers.

CANDY BUTCHER; HOT SODA (continued)

    Some earlier hits for these terms.
    "Trials of a Candy Butcher" is in CONFECTIONERS' AND BAKERS' GAZETTE, 10
January 1900, pg. 28, col. 3.
     "How to run a hot soda apparatus profitably" is in CONFECTIONERS' AND
BAKERS' GAZETTE, 10 February 1900, pg. 39, col. 1.

CHOCOLATE CHIP ICE CREAM

    This has gotta go in the OED.  Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Ice Cream
would not exist without this classic first.
     From AMERICAN COOKERY, "Tested Recipes of the Month," January 1943, pg.
213, col. 1:

     _CHOCOLATE CHIP ICE CREAM_
2/3 cup sweetened condensed milk
1/2 cup water
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 7-ounce package semi-sweet chocolate, chipped
1 cup cream
     Mix milk, water, vanilla and chocolate; chill.  Whip cream to
consistency of soft custard; fold into chilled mixture.  Freeze in
refrigerator tray until half frozen.  Scrape and beat until smooth but not
melted.  Replace in freezing unit until frozen.  Serves 6.