"greengrocer's apostrophe" (was Re: Cam(pb)ell)

Bonnie Osborn Briggs BBriggs at LATTE.MEMPHIS.EDU
Tue Aug 8 14:13:13 UTC 2000

I think this is a regional thing.  I've always heard store rather than
grocery store or supermarket.  Usually if someone is going somewhere
other that a grocery store, they call it by name, "I'm going to Target"
or I'm going to Sears".  However, there is a sticky twist to this
situation now that the new "superstores" (Wal-Mart and K-Mart) are now
selling groceries as well as the nine million other items they stock.

Bonnie Briggs
The University of Memphis