broadcasters

Frank Abate abatefr at EARTHLINK.NET
Tue Aug 8 18:55:43 UTC 2000

Brokaw is widely made fun of (on Imus, etc.) for having great difficulty
with medial L.  In words like "dollar" (pretty common in the news) he says
something like "DOW-er".  It gets pretty funny when the medial Ls pile up,
as in a word like "colloquially".  I expect his copy editors avoid such
words in preparing his material, and he probably cuts some himself in
rehearsing.  But once in a while you've gotta say "dollar" and other common
L-full words in reading the news.

I don't know the name for this phenomenon, but perhaps others do?

Barbara Walters of ABC has a similar problem, but more with R I believe.
You may recall how she was made fun of for it years ago by the late Gilda
Radner on Saturday Night Live, via the character "Baba Wawa".

Frank Abate