possible citation of possible interest

Kathleen Miller millerk at NYTIMES.COM
Mon Aug 14 13:17:14 UTC 2000

Safire cited this in 1997,

"In ''Crazy English'' (1989), Richard Lederer told of Queen Anne's supposed
comment in 1710 on seeing the completion of Sir Christopher Wren's
magnificent edifice, St. Paul's Cathedral: ''awful, artificial and
amusing.'' At the time, that was a royal compliment, with awful meaning
''awe-inspiring,'' artificial ''artistic'' and amusing ''amazing.''

Katy