Norwegian Kitchen

Tue Aug 15 16:43:11 UTC 2000

At 11:59 AM 8/15/00 -0400, Barry Popik wrote:

>DRAGSTIL--Dragon style church, for the roof decoration.

Dragons do indeed appear on the corners and gables of the roofs of a
particular medieval style of church in Norway, the Stav Kirke, or church
built of vertical staves of wood.  The style combines pagan warding off of
evil via dragons with the high steeple of the traditional Christian
church.  We have several copies of these churches in Minnesota.

>THE NORWEGIAN KITCHEN
>by Aase Stromstad
>57 pages, $16
>
>Pg. 7--lefse.
>Pg. 13--Open-faced sandwich.
>Pg. 13--pinnekjott, lamb rubs, dried and salted...
>Pg. 13--Lukefisk, cod soaked in lye...
>Pg. 14--gamalost or "old cheese"...
>Pg. 19--Torrfisk.
>Pg. 21--Klippfisk.
>Pg. 23--Prince fish.  THe story goes that this dish was first served to a
>Swedish prince when he was visiting Bergen some time in the 19th century.
>Pg. 25--Sandefjord butter
>Pg. 25--Pollack fillets with fried onions.  Pollack is usually considered
>every day fare.
>Pg. 27--Bergen fish soup.
>Pg. 29--Gravlaks.
>Pg. 37--Ptarmigans with cream gravy.
>Pg. 43--Veiled farm girls.  The best time to serve this delicious old time
>standby is in the fall when Norwegian apples are at their best.  (WHERE
>ARE THESE NORWEGIAN FARM GIRLS??-ed.)
>Pg. 43--Can't resist.  One of many delicious mousses.  The name, of
>course, implies that it is so good that one can't resist helping oneself
>twice--or more.
>Pg. 45--Cloudberry cream.
>Pg. 47--Aquavit sorbet.
>Pg. 49--Sweet buns.  There is nothing more Norwegian than these sweet buns
>with their strong cardamon flavor.
>Variations:
>Raisin buns
>Lenten buns
>Hot walls:  This is a Bergen specialty.
>Shilling buns
>School buns
>Christmas loaf
>Pg. 51--Princess cake.
>Pg. 53--Prince cake.  The story goes that the recipe for this cake
>originally came to us with wandering craftsmen from Austria who settled in
>Norway.  In time it became the cake we know today.  It has an accepted
>place on the coffee table and is often baked at Christmas.
>Pg. 57--Bishop.  Norway's much revered cook and cookbook writer, Hanna
>Winsnes, who lived in the 19th century, was a woman who enjoyed the good
>things in life.  She also believed in doing well for the "master of the
>house" and the many guests who came to their home.  On cold winter
>evenings and at Christmad it was always a pleasure to warm oneself with
>her "bisp" or "bishop" as she called it.
>(Red  wine, orange juice, sugar, orange peel, boiling water--ed.)

Ah, now here you're making me hungry for good old Scandinavian cooking!  In
particular, for the many variations on sweet buns.  The bishop red
wine/juice drink is also called glogg (or is that Swedish?).