bread and butter pickles

Aaron E. Drews aaron at LING.ED.AC.UK
Wed Aug 16 18:11:07 UTC 2000

(off-list)

At 2:35 PM +0100 16/8/00, Lynne Murphy wrote:

>The pickles I've bought in a jar here are labelled "dill cucumbers", but
>they taste like bread and butter pickles to me.  I assume that the term
>is American,

Personally, I never heard of them.

>  since we seem to have many more varieties of pickled cukes
>than the British do (who seem to have gherkins, and things that are
>called 'dill' but don't taste like dill).

Yeah, but they pickle *everything* here.

>Lynne, who misses kosher dills

You might want to try an 'ethnic' shop.  I don't know if there are
any in Brighton, but the next time you're in London you might want to
try.  Here in Edinburgh, we have a place called Valvona & Crolla that
sells kosher dills, amongst a plethora of other things (I vaguely
remember some Hebraic script on the jar, to boot).  I'm sure there's
some place like that in your neck of the woods.

Aaron E. Drews                               The University of Edinburgh
http://www.ling.ed.ac.uk/~aaron      Departments of English Language and
aaron at ling.ed.ac.uk                    Theoretical & Applied Linguistics

Bide lang and fa fair  \\  //
                         \\// /