The United States is/are

Paul Frank paulfrank at WANADOO.FR
Sun Aug 20 16:49:15 UTC 2000

> It is often said that the United States went from being a plural to a
> singular noun during or straight after the Civil War. An American history
> professor I know tells me that this is a fact. Merriam Webster's
Dictionary
> of English Usage says that the noun went from singular to plural around
the
> turn of the twentieth century, except in Britain where the United States
is
> still a plural noun. Has anyone looked into this question?

Sorry, I got this backward. I meant to write that Merriam Webster's
Dictionary
of English Usage says that the noun went from plural to singular around the
turn of the twentieth century.

Cheers,
Paul
Paul Frank
Business, financial and legal translation
>From German, French, Chinese, Spanish,
Italian, Dutch and Portuguese into English
Thollon-les-Memises, 74500 Evian, France
paulfrank at wanadoo.fr