Semantic Shift?

Kathleen Miller millerk at NYTIMES.COM
Tue Aug 22 13:17:30 UTC 2000

Mr. Safire is writing a special issue on Noo Yawkese and we're stuck with a
lingusitic question. What is it called when a phrase, such as "get out of
here", assumes a different meaning? Is it sematic shift, or is there another
name for it?

Kathleen E. Miller
Research Assistant to William Safire
The New York Times

"And now here is my secret, a very simple secret: It is only with the heart
that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the
eye."                 Antoine de Saint-Exupery
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <>

More information about the Ads-l mailing list