Left Coast

William Safire language at NYTIMES.COM
Thu Aug 24 16:37:39 UTC 2000

(I have not yet subscribed to the listserver, but will as soon as I have an
e-mail address -- please reply to this address in the meantime.)

Reporting on the Democratic National Convention, a writer for the LA Times
recently wrote: "Identifying the D.C. contingent was easy at Senate
Minority Leader Tom Daschle's party in the Conga Room. If she was wearing a
revealing top, a short, tight micro-mini and strappy stillettos, if she had
that come-hither look, she was definitely Left Coast."

The RHHDAS cites Lewin and Lewin 1988, which says "left coast" is
synonymous with "West Coast." Have any of you come across the term in the
more specific manner in which it is used above?

Thanks very much,

Elizabeth Phillips
Research Assistant to William Safire