Copenhagen food & drink

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Mon Aug 28 17:48:12 UTC 2000

     Greetings from a rainy New York City...It should have been "throw in"
(not "through in") in that last post on SLANGUAGE.
     I was in Copenhagen yesterday.

MAMA ROSA'S CANTINA (a Tex-Mex/Italian restaurant just off the main walking
street)
     Coffee:
Mexikansk Koffe (tequila, kahlua); Irish Coffee (whiskey); Jamaican Coffee
(Tia Maria, creme de cacao); Italiensk Kaffe (sambuco); Fransk Kaffe
(cognac); Bailey's med Kaffe (Bailey's); Amerikansk Kaffe.
     Drinks:
Margarita del Ray; Margarita de Fresa; Maragarita Kiwi; San Fransisco;
Factory Pina Colada; Caribbean Cooler; Blue Hawaii; Tequila Sunrise; Kirr;
Martini Bianco; Martini Rosso; Martini Dry.

RESTAURANT TROJKA
Trojkas Kaffe--med vodka + flodeskum.

CAFE AMADEUS (OTTO'S KITCHEN)
(Allan Otto is advertised as the Master of Danish Food)
Danish salami; Danish lamb; Danish liver pate; Danish hacked beef; Old Danish
cheese with whiskey; Danish herring.

IDA DAVIDSEN
(OSKAR DAVIDSEN was established in 1888 and was famous for smorrebrod)
The Veterinarian's Breakfast--rye bread with butter, liver pate, lard,
consomme aspic, Danish salami, onion, dill.
The Veterinarian's Supper--rye bread with butter, liver pate, lard, consomme
aspic, saltbeef, onion, dill.
The Electrician's Supper--rye bread with butter, salted pork cutlet, sauteed
onions, apple, gravy.
Hans Christian Andersen--rye bread with butter, crispy bacon, liver pate,
consomme aspic, horseradish, parsley.
Per Hendriksen--rye bread with butter, egg, tomato, cucumber, onion,
mayonnaise, dill, raw egg yolk.
Clipper--rye bread with butter, hand scraped beef tartare, caviar, smoked
salmon, raw egg yolk.

7-11
Served scones, frosnapper prommebolle, wienerslojfe, kamme, croissant.  (No
Danish.)

HERCEGOVINA RESTAURANT
Cevapcici (minced meat)
Pljeskavica (hamburger steak)

BALI RESTAURANT
Cocktail "Bali Punch"--Rom + blended appelsin + og ananas juice.

DSB CAFE & MINIBAR (in train station)
Haps Dog; Chili Dog; Luksus Frankfurter; American CheeseDog; Wienerbrod (no
"Danish"); Croissant; Rundstykke; Kager; Friskbagte (muffins m/chokolade el
blabaer);
Ice Tea (Nestea is also "Ice Tea" here).

BURGERE (burger shack)
Big Dane clasic; Big Dane cheese; Big Dane bacon; Big Dane chicken; Big Dane
devil (?); Big Dane garlic.

MISC.:
CHRISTIANSOSILD--herrings from the "Christian island."
COUPE DANMARK--vanilla ice with chokolatesauce.
STJERNESKUD--fried fish fillet, steamed fish fillet + prawns, served with
salad on toasted bread.
BEEF SKINDBUKGEN (steak)
PAMIX A DANISH SPECIALTY (bits of steak)

"DANISH" & THE WHITE HOUSE (continued)
    My congressperson is Congresswoman Carolyn Maloney (D).  She is a good
friend of both President Bill Clinton and First Lady Hillary Rodham Clinton.
Maloney visits the White House often.  The White House is often called "the
people's house."
    As stated before, it might have been a White House chef (from Copenhagen)
who gave us the "Danish."
    Rather than e-mail a swamped White House staff,  I e-mailed my
congresswoman and asked her if there was a White House historian who can help
me find out about the White House chefs and White House menus.  I said that I
was a scholar who lived in her district, and that I've given a lot to my city
and to my country.
    As ADS-L readers know by now, in my experience, unless you give
politicians money, your elected representatives don't do ANYTHING for you at
all.
    Congresswoman Maloney never responded.