Semantic Shift?

Margaret Lee mlee303 at YAHOO.COM
Wed Aug 30 10:11:21 UTC 2000

If it's not too late to respond to this:  semantic
shift occurs when a word's original meaning changes
completly.  When a word's meaning is expanded to
include not only its original meaning, but additional
meaning, the process is known as *broadening*.

--- Kathleen Miller <millerk at NYTIMES.COM> wrote:
> Mr. Safire is writing a special issue on Noo Yawkese
> and we're stuck with a
> lingusitic question. What is it called when a
> phrase, such as "get out of
> here", assumes a different meaning? Is it sematic
> shift, or is there another
> name for it?
> Kathleen E. Miller
> Research Assistant to William Safire
> The New York Times
> "And now here is my secret, a very simple secret: It
> is only with the heart
> that one can see rightly; what is essential is
> invisible to the
> eye."                 Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Margaret G. Lee, Ph.D.
Associate Professor - English and Linguistics
& University Editor
Department of English
Hampton University, Hampton, VA 23668
Office:(757)727-5769; FAX:(757)727-5421; Home:(757)851-5773
e-mail:  mlee303 at   or   margaret.lee at

Do You Yahoo!?
Yahoo! Mail - Free email you can access from anywhere!

More information about the Ads-l mailing list