package store

Frank Abate abatefr at EARTHLINK.NET
Thu Aug 31 20:37:23 UTC 2000

Frank A said:

>The fact that Lieberman's usage was questioned suggests to me that term is
>unfamiliar to some, and likely is restricted in some manner.

to which Greg D replied:

I didn't pay particularly close attention to the politicized p.s./l.s.
debates, since they tended to run along predictably partisan lines. But the
impression I took away is that some anti-Lieberman folks seemed to be taking
the position that in saying "p.s." L. was deceptively employing a euphemism
for something that some people apparently disapprove of, on moral and/or
religious and/or economic grounds. Others argued that there was nothing
wrong with either p.s.'es or l.s.'s, though there was some disagreement as
to whether these were two different things or two different terms for the
same thing. Please note that I am reporting all this sentiment, to the best
of my rather general recollection, and not endorsing any of it.
<<

My guess is that those who called L's use of "package store" into question,
or suggested it is a euphemism, were unaware of this term as
just a straight-up equivalent for "liquor store", at least in CT.

btw, in CT the package stores sell all manner of alcoholic beverages.  Other
stores, like grocery stores, can sell only beer.  And nobody can sell ANY
booze in "packages" after 8:00 p.m., or on Sunday.  You gotta buy early for
those parties and Sunday events, unless you go to a bar or restaurant, where
you can buy individual drinks only -- no carry-out.

When I was in Ohio (18 years ago), you could buy beer and wine at grocery
stores, but liquor was only available in bottles from a "state store".
However, you could buy carry-out beer from a bar up until 2:00 a.m., closing
time.

I expect that the variations on this "where and when you can buy what" theme
are virtually endless, given the 50 states, dry counties, etc.

Ain't Puritanism grand.

Frank Abate