City Names

Joseph McCollum prez234 at JUNO.COM
Sun Dec 3 04:16:18 UTC 2000

In the sports pages, it's usually "Cincy," "Indy" (not "Indie,")
"Philly," and "Frisco."
I lived in Ann Arbor for six years, and I never heard it called "Narber,"
and definitely not written that way -- "A^2," said "A-squared,"  yes, but
not "Narber."
Also I've seen and heard "Nawlins" for "New Orleans," and "The 'burgh"
for "Pittsburgh" although the latter is not abbreviating the city name.

In re "The Third Degree" -- what are the "First" and "Second" degrees?
Are they more or less severe than The Third Degree?

First degree murder is a more severe crime than third degree murder, but
then a third degree burn (charring of the skin) is more severe than a
first degree burn (just redness).