french chad

Arnold Zwicky zwicky at CSLI.STANFORD.EDU
Fri Dec 1 01:33:53 UTC 2000

[NOTE: if you quote from this posting, EDIT YOUR MESSAGE so that the
words below are correctly attributed.  or at least make it clear that
i am QUOTING these words, not saying them myself.]

from chris waigl (cwaigl at free.fr) to me in e-mail (quoted here with
permission):

>In France, "le chad" was used to explain the Florida happenings, but
>it was quickly replaced by the French word, borrowed from Italian and
>forced to undergo similar morphological violence: "le confetti". Sic.

i asked if "le chad" and "le confetti" are count or mass or both,
and got the reply:

>"Le chad" was actually never used as a French noun; it was only
>tentatively introduced into French news speak until a better, French
>equivalent had been found. I am quite sure it was only used as a
>count noun.  "Le confetti" is exclusively a count noun, in all
>instances of usage that I have seen; a visitor in our flat, an
>educated native speaker of French, confirms that.

i pressed on and asked about the plurals:

arnold (zwicky at csli.stanford.edu)