Folk Awareness oif Dialect

Robert Kelly kelly at BARD.EDU
Mon Dec 4 15:28:37 UTC 2000

add another component (to ignorance & nativism):  humor, folk or
otherwise.  Thirty years ago in California I heard Buena as /bjuna/,
Vallejo as Valley Joe (so stressed), Mesa as mee-sa, Palos as pale-os,
etc.  I was never sure my eastern leg wasnt being pulled, but I heard such
things too often for me to assume myself the victim of a Conspiracy of
Native Informants.

RK