pimp

Herb Stahlke HSTAHLKE at GW.BSU.EDU
Wed Dec 6 13:35:17 UTC 2000

Could its spread to this usage have anything to do with confusion
with "primp"?

Herb Stahlke

>>> douglas at NB.NET 12/06/00 08:33AM >>>
>What intrigues me is whether the new "cool" meaning of "pimp" is
from
>"pimp" as is generally understood or is it some dialectal or
regional
>word meaning something closer to the slang "cool." If so, how
did this
>meliorative semantic change come about? It doesn't look like a
smooth
>transition, as in the case of slang "cool" from the temperature
sense.

I refer to the Cassell slang dictionary.

"Pimp" (adj.) = "stylish, expensive" is given as "US Black",
apparently
since the 1940's.

Apparently the pimp is traditionally considered to be a
conspicuous
consumer, with plenty of tax-free cash, in a business which calls
for a
stylish image or something like that.

I'm personally familiar with "pimp" (figurative noun) = something
like
"stylish macho man", used by young black and white men in the
1960's.

More recently apparently the word has become campus slang; also
"pimp" (v.)
= "to dress up", "pimping" = "pimpish" = "well-dressed", etc.
There is also
"pimp" (v.) used as something like "profile"/"show off", in my
experience.

[Compare one suggested origin of the English word "pimp" (17th
century),
from French "pimpant", approximately = "smartly-dressed".]

So I think it's "pimp" = "stylishly-appointed man" > "pimp(ish)
clothes (or
car, etc.)" = "stylish/expensive clothes (or car, etc.)" > "pimp"
=
"stylish/cool".

-- Doug Wilson