Couple.

Mark Odegard markodegard at HOTMAIL.COM
Thu Dec 7 02:44:22 UTC 2000

In the current issue (Dec. 2000) issue of _National Geographic_, on p. 90, Garrison Keillor gives us this sentence: "Beyond the windbreak was a couple hundred acres of corn."

I'm one of those who uses 'couple' just as you do 'dozen': a dozen eggs, a couple eggs, but do recognize that certain people regard it as riseable. I'm using it here in the sense 'exactly two'.

'A couple hundred acres', though, means 'approximately two hundred'.

The objection, for those who have objections, is the dropping of 'of', they insisting it be 'a couple of', or more casually, 'a coupla'.

My own view is you have to explain why it's not a dozen of eggs before you can object to a couple eggs.

Comments?

Mark.