Catching z's in Illinoiz [WAS: Folk Awareness oif Dialect]

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Wed Dec 6 14:49:50 UTC 2000

At 4:02 AM -0600 12/6/00, Mike Salovesh wrote:
>But then I remembered an old song about Illinois.  The song is
>attributed to the middle 1800s; its rhymes indicate both z and non-z
>variants.  The first verse conforms to my prejudices:
>
>         Way down upon the Wabash, such land was never known
>         If Adam had crossed over it, the soil he'd surely own
>         He'd swear it was the garden he'd lived in while a boy
>         And straight declare it Eden in the state of Illinois
>
>CHORUS: Move your fam'ly westward, good health you will enjoy
>         And rise to wealth and honor in the State of Illinois
>
>Another verse, however, goes the other way completely:
>
>         Away up in the northland, just by the borderline
>         A great commercial city, Chicago, you will find
>         Her men are all like Abelard, her women like Heloise
>                 (pronounced "hell oize")
>         All good and honest people 'cause they live in Illinoiz.
>
>CHORUS: So move your fam'ly westward, bring all your girls and boys
>         And raise them in that garden spot, the state of Illinoiz.

If the claim about all her men being like Abelard and all her women
like Heloise is accurate, it's surprising that there are any
second-generation Illinoisans.  Maybe they're all adopted.

larry