B.Y.O.B. (1925); Peach Melba; Monte Cristo

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Thu Dec 7 03:48:55 UTC 2000

B.Y.O.B. (1925)

   The RHHDAS has B.Y.O.L. from 1928.
   From THE CATERER AND HOTEL PROPRIETORS' GAZETTE, June 1925, pg. 32, col. 1, In a story about New York City's XIII Club:

   There were 13 tables of 13 and the balance had tables of twice 13--26.  A significant note at the bottom of the menu was as follows:
   Broadcasting
   B.Y.O.B.
   (Bring Your Own Balls)
   There was also the polite request, R.S.V.P. (Return Sil-Ver Please.)

PEACH MELBA

   "The Origin of the Peche Melba" by F. B. Bourne-Newton, Editor of "The Caterer," London, was in THE CATERER AND HOTEL PROPRITORS' GAZETTE, July 1925, pages 38-39.
   Pg. 38, col. 2:

   Twenty-eight years have passed since the appearance of this delicate dessert, the reputation of which is now world-wide.
   (Pg. 39, col. 1--ed.)
   It was at the opening of the Hotel Ritz at Paris that, after a conversation with the celebrated artists, the idea came to me (Auguste Escoffier--ed.) of giving her (Nellie Melba--ed.) name to my latest creation.
   It was not until nine months later, however, at the opening of the Carlton Hotel in London, that I carried out this project.  It was in July, the time when peaches are fully ripe, that the "Peche Melba" appeared in a menu of the Carlton.  Its success was rapid and decided.  Unfortunately I have many times regretted to hear that the true formula has been, more often than not, altered, giving only a very indifferent result.
   "Peache Melba" is composed solely of tender and just ripe peaches, of fine vanilla ice-cream and sweetned raspberries. Any departure from this rule depreciates the delicacy of this sweet dish.
(Long recipe follows--ed.)

MONTE CRISTO

   From THE CATERER AND HOTEL PROPRIETORS' GAZETTE, January 1923, pg. 32, col. 1:

   Sandwiches
(...)
Monte Cristo... 50

RAISIN BREAD

   From THE CATERER AND HOTEL PROPRIETORS' GAZETTE, January 1923, pg. 24, col. 1:

   _SUN-MAID RAISINS TOASTED BREAD_
   The Sun-Maid Raisin Growers of California worked out a scheme for helping hotels to build up an asset of good will in the proper use of raisin dishes.  One of the results is that the Palace Hotel in San Francisco, has made quite a reputation among its guests and through them, wherever they go, with toasted raisin bread.  It started as a "California dish" but is now a national dish, because other hotels are following this lead.

"CATCH YOUR OWN FISH" DINNER

   From THE CATERER AND HOTEL PROPRIETORS' GAZETTE, July 1925, pg. 10, cols. 1-2, is an article with this title.  Hackney's near the Inlet on the Boardwalk at Atlantic City, N. J., advertised: "Throw your hook out and catch your own fish for your own dinner."
   The New York City restaurants on the East River here don't seem to offer this.