One of Barry's jokes

Mike Salovesh t20mxs1 at CORN.CSO.NIU.EDU
Sat Dec 9 22:37:16 UTC 2000

Fred Shapiro wrote:

> On Fri, 8 Dec 2000, Mike Salovesh wrote:
>
> > Barry, here in corn country that's an agricultural joke:  "You can lead
> > a horticulture, but you cannot make her think."
>
> This, of course, is not some rural witticism, but rather the greatest
> one-liner of the very urbane Dorothy Parker.  It was her response when
> challenged to use the word "horticulture" in a sentence.

Aw, shuckins, Fred . . .  you big city folks don't never allow us no
credit for upholding tradition!  We know all about Dorothy Parker out
here.  She sure got off a good one when she came up with that answer a
couple years ago.

This here story is just like the Arkansas Traveler: everybody knows the
punch line.  (Well, with the Arkansas Traveler, it's all of the punch
lines.)  What we wait for, around the pot-bellied stove in the back of
the hardware store and post office, is the fella who can make us laugh
BECAUSE we already know the punch line.

-- mike salovesh                    <salovesh at niu.edu>
PEACE !!!